Appropriate conduct for Mecca
The following actions are recommended:
1. Remembering Allah frequently and reciting the Holy Qur'an.
2. Reciting the entire Holy Qur'an.
3. Drinking the water of Zamzam and then saying:
اللهم اجعله علما نافعا ورزقا واسعا وشفاء من كل داء وسقم
(O Allah! Grant me beneficial knowledge and great sustenance and the remedy for any disease or illness.)
بسم الله وبالله والشكر لله
(In the Name of Allah and by Allah and all thanks to Allah.)
4. Looking frequently at the Holy Ka´aba.
5. Performing ṯawāf around the Holy Ka´aba ten times: three times during the first part of the night, three times at the end of the night, twice after dawn and twice after the time of
6. Performing 360 ṯawāfs during the stay in Mecca. If it is not possible to do so, 52 ṯawāfs may be performed, and, if this is also not possible, the pilgrim should perform as many as possible.
7. If someone is performing their first pilgrimage ever, it is recommended that they perform the full ablution before entering the Holy Ka´aba. At the time of entry they should say:
اللهم إنك قلت :( ومن دخله كان آمنا ) فآمني من عذاب النّار
Then perform two raka´āt on the red marble tiles between the two pillars. After the recitation of the Chapter of Al-Fātiha, the pilgrim should recite in the first raka´ah Sūrah Fussilat and in the second raka´ah 55 freely choosable but connected verses.
8. Performing prayers at every corner of the Holy Ka´aba, saying after each prayer:
اللهم من تهيأ وتعبأ أو اعدّ أو استعد لوفادة إلى مخلوق رجاء رفده وجائزته ونوافله وفواضله، فإليك ياسيدي تهيأتي وتعبأتي وإعدادي واستعدادي رجاء رفدك ونوافلك وجائزتك، فلا تخيب اليوم رجائي، يا من لا يخيب عليه سائل ولا ينقصه نائل، فإني لم آتك اليوم ثقة بعمل صالح قدمته ولا شفاعة مخلوق رجوته، ولكني أتيتك مقراً بالظلم والإساءة على نفسي، فإنه لا حجة لي ولا عذر، فأسألك يا من هو كذلك أن تصلي على محمد وآله وتعطيني مسألتي وتقيلني عثرتي وتقلبني برغبتي، ولا تردني مجبوها ممنوعا ولا خائباً، يا عظيم يا عظيم يا عظيم أرجوك للعظيم ، أسألك يا عظيم أن تغفر لي الذنب العظيم، لا إله إلا أنت
(O Allah! Whomsoever prepares themselves and exerts themselves or makes themselves ready or gets ready for the arrival of any creature, asks for their support and their reward and their gifts and their favors; for You, my Lord, do I prepare myself and exert myself and make myself ready and get ready, asking for Your support and Your gifts and Your reward. So do not turn down my request, O One Who does not disappoint those beseeching Him and does not diminish their favors. Today, I have not sent forth to You a reliable portion of good deeds nor did I beg for intercessions made by other people. But I turn to You, confessing the wrongs and the injustices that I have done and for which I have no justification and no excuse. So I beseech You, O You who are worthy, to send Your blessings upon Muhammad and his progeny and to grant me what I have asked for and forgive my aberrations and examine me, considering my request, and do not refuse me and leave me rejected, banned and failing. O Supreme, O Supreme,
O Supreme! If you please, grant me from the supreme of Your favors. I beseech You, O Supreme, forgive me the supreme (capital) sins. There is no God but You.)
When emerging from the Holy Ka´aba, it is recommended that one say three times: "Allāhu Akbar" and also say the following supplication:
اللهم لا تجهد بلاء نا، ربّنا ولا تشمت بنا أعداء نا، فإنك أنت الضار النافع
(O Allah! Do not exhaust us with trials. O our Lord! Do not let our enemies rejoice over us. Verily, You are the One to bring distress and benefit (the Afflicter, the Propitious).)
Then the pilgrim steps out of the Holy Ka´aba and – facing it with the stairs on their left side – prays two raka´ahs next to the ladder.