Rules of tawaf
1. It is permissible for one to intentionally stop the recommended or the obligatory tawaf in between. If the pilgrim in the obligatory tawaf intends to continue the interrupted tawaf, he can only done that if he had complete four rounds.
2. One cannot do tawafs continuously, i.e., without keeping a gap between the two by doing salatu ’t-tawaf. This is only allowed in case of two recommended tawafs, even though that is makrūh, disliked.
3. If the pilgrim is confused and has doubts about the number of rounds during the tawaf, he is allowed to continue doing his tawaf with the doubt. If he is able to resolve his doubt and ascertain that he has not missed or added any round, then his tawaf is valid. However, if his doubt is not resolved, then his tawaf is invalid.
4. A pilgrim entertains doubts about the number of rounds after having completed the obligatory tawaf: if this doubt happens after a little while (e.g., 10 minutes after the tawaf) or during salatu ’t-tawaf, then his tawaf is considered as valid.
5. If the pilgrim doing a sunnat tawaf has doubt about the number of rounds, then he may assume the lesser of the two numbers and complete his tawaf.
6. If the pilgrim has a doubt about a particular round of tawaf after has finished that round, then he should just ignore that doubt. Rather even if the pilgrim has a doubt about one stage of a round after he has already moved to the next stage, then he should just consider it to be valid.
7. A slight turning of the head or the neck away from the correct direction does not harm the validity of the tawaf. However, based on precaution, one should refrain from a drastic turn towards the back side.
8. The defilement (najasat) of the body or the dress will make the tawaf invalid. Even the slight blood which is normally excused in salat would not be excused in the tawaf––this is based on obligatory precaution.
9. If the pilgrim didn’t know about the impurity of his body or dress during the tawaf and came to know about it later on, his tawaf is valid and there is no need to repeat it.
10. Similarly, if the pilgrim forgot that his body or dress was impure (najis) and he did the tawaf in that condition and remembered it only after finishing the tawaf – his tawaf is valid and there is no need to repeat it.
11. If he came to know about the impurity of his body or dress during the tawaf or the impurity come upon him before finishing the tawaf and it is possible to remove the najasat, then he should remove it and complete his tawaf. If it is not possible to remove it, then he may complete his tawaf as is and there is no need to repeat it.
12. In case of emergency, the najasat on the body or dress of the pilgrim will not harm the tawaf.
13. The cause of minor impurity (like breaking of the wind) will not harm the sunnat tawaf. However, the salat of tawaf must be done in the state of purity even if it is for a sunnat tawaf.
14. If the wudhu of the pilgrim becomes invalid during the tawaf after the 4th round, then he should stop the tawaf, go and renew the wudhu and then continue from where he left. However, if the wudhu becomes invalid before completing the 4th round, then he should go and renew the wudhu and then restart the entire tawaf.
15. A person who is habitually doubtful should ignore his doubts in tawaf just as he is supposed to do so in the state of salat.
16. It is permissible for the pilgrim in tawaf to rely on the counting done by his companion for the number of rounds as long as the companion is himself sure about them.
It is also possible for the pilgrim to use the specific du‘as of the tawaf and consider them as indicators for the number of tawaf that he has done. These du‘as are as follows:
1st Round’s Du‘a:
“Allahumma as’aluka bi ismikal ladhi yumshi bihi ‘ala talilil mai kala yumshi bihi ‘ala judadil ardhi;
as’aluka bi ismikal ladhi yahtazzu lahu ‘arshuka;
wa asaluka bi ismikal ladhi tahtazzu lahu ‘arshuka;
wa as’aluka bi ismikal ladhi tahtazzu lahu aqdamu mala’ikatika;
wa asaluka bi ismikal ladhi da‘aka bihi Musa min janibit tūril ayman, fastajabta lahu walqayta ‘alayhi muhabbatan minka;
wa as’aluka bi ismikal ladhi ghafarta bihi li Muhammadin la taqaddama min dhanbihi wa ma ta’akkhara wa atmamta ‘alayhi ni‘matuka – an tarzuqani khayrad dinya wal akhirah…”
2nd Round’s Du‘a:
“Allahumma inni ilayka faqirun wa inni kha’ifun mustajirun, fa la tughayyir jismi wa la tubaddil ismi.”
Then say: “Sa’iluka faqiruka miskinuka bi babika; fa tasaddaq ‘alayha bil jannah; Allahumma, al-baytu baytuk, wal haramu haramuk, wal ‘abdu ‘abduk, wa hadha maqamul ‘a’idhu bikal mustajiru bika minan nar, fa a‘tiqni wa walidayya wa ahlii wa wuldi , ikhwaniyal mu’minin minan nar, ya jawadu ya karim.”
3rd Round’s Du‘a:
“Allahumma adkhilniyil jannah wa ajirni minan nar bi rahmatika, wa ‘afiniy minas suqmi wa awsi‘ ‘alayya minar rizqil halal, wadra’ ‘anni sharra fasaqatil jinni wal insi, wa sharra fasaqatil ‘arab wal ‘ajam;
Ya dhal manni wat tawli; ya dhal jūdi wal karam; inna ‘amali dha‘ifun fa dha‘ifhu li; wa taqabbilhu minni; innaka antas sami‘ul ‘alim.”
4th Round’s Du‘a:
“Ya Allahu, ya waliyyal ‘afiyah wa khaliqal ‘afiyah wa raziqal ‘afiyah wal mun‘imu bil ‘afiyah wal mutafaddilu bil ‘afiyah ‘alayya wa ‘ala jami‘i khalqika,
ya Rahmanad dinya wal akhirah wa Rahimahuma,
salli ‘ala Muhammadin wa Al-I Muhammad war-zuqnal ‘afiyah wa tamamal ‘afiyah wa shural ‘afiyah fid dinya wal akhirah. Ya arhamar rahimin.”
5th Round’s Du‘a:
“Allahumma inni a‘udhu bika min ‘adhabil qabr wa fitnatihi wa ghurbatihi wa wahshatihi wa dhulmatihi wa dhiqihi wa dhanakihi.
Allahumma adhillani fi dhilli ‘arshika yawma la dhilla illa dhilluka.
Allahumma atina fid dunya hasanatan wa fil akhirati hasanatan wa qina ‘adhaban nar.”
6th Round’s Du‘a:
“Allahummal baytu baytuka, wal ‘abdu ‘abduka, wa hadha maqamul ‘a’idhi bika minan nar.
Allahumma min qablikar rūhu wal faraju wal ‘afiyah.
Allahumma inna ‘amali dha‘ifun, fa dha‘ifhu li; waghfir li mat-tala‘ta ‘alayhi minni wa khafiya ‘ala khalqika; astajiru billahi minan nar.”
7th Round’s Du‘a:
“Allahumma ‘indi afwajan min dhunūb wa afwajan min khataya; wa ‘indaka afwajun min rahmatin wa afwajun min maghfirati; ya manis-tajaba li-abghadhi khalqihi idh qala andhirni ila yawmi yub‘athūna, istajib li.”
Then prayer for what you desire from Allah and then say: “Allahumma qanni‘ni bima razaq-tani, wa barik li fima ataytani.”