Recommendation of the third conference of the associations of speakers and preachers in Scandinavian countries.
17 Rajab 1440
In the name of God, the Almighty
((There has to be a nation among you summoning to the good, bidding what is right, and forbidding what is wrong. It is they who are the felicitous))
Praise be to the Lord of all worlds, and prayers and peace be upon our Prophet Mohammed and his purified progeny.
On the birth anniversary of the Commander of the Faithful Imam Ali (p), The Third Conference of the Association of Speakers and preachers in the Scandinavian Countries was held at the Imam al-Muntadher (May God hasten his return) Foundation in Malmö, and was attended and fostered by the representative of the supreme religious authority in Europe his eminence al-Sayyid Murtadha al-Kashmiri. The conference concluded with following recommendations for speakers and preachers:
1. Act as ambassadors of Islam in the European countries, by being present among members of the communities and understanding their culture and thought, for doing this brings the non-Muslims closer to Islam. For example, a preacher should accompany them in trips of short-term tourism, for enlighten them with the true values of Islam.
2. Urge the youth to study the sciences and disciplines that are useful for them and their countries, in accordance with the recommendation of the supreme religious authority which had always recommended for its followers to set a good example for others in achieving high ranks in various contemporary and useful disciplines and sciences.
3. Encourage the youth to read the ten valuable fatherly advice which was issued by the supreme religious authority for his followers for ensuring them happiness in this world and in the hereafter. Moreover, they should read books such as:
o Osul Tazkiat al Nafs
o Muhadarat fi Usool al-Aqeedah, which has been delivered to students of different
o colleges and institutes
o Altakfir fil Salat
o Jami Alsaadat
o Muhasabat al-Nafs
o Tajariby ma Alminbar
o Tasliat alfoad fe Bayan alMowt wal Maad
o Itihad il Afaaq wa Itihadiha fi bidayat al Ashhur al-Aqamariyah, and may other useful books.
4. Present important topics that raise awareness among the youth on their beliefs such as, The Awaited Imam Mahdi (p), misconceptions that are raised against belief in divine leadership and infallibility, Principles of faith (Usool al-Deen), obligatoriness of emulation (taqleed), (Khums) and the fact that it originated from the Holy Quran and the tradition of the Prophet (pbuh&hp), the religious authority system (marjiyah) which began during the time of Imam al-Hadi and Imam al-Askary (pbut).
5. Denounce any terrorist attacks on innocent people in the West by those who claim to be Muslims. In the event that a terrorist attack takes place preachers must condemn such terrorist acts in the name of Islam and assert that Islam calls for peaceful coexistence and respect for others based on the principle of (people are of two types, either your brother in faith or your equal in humanity).
6. Refrain from hate speech, instead develop the spirit of tolerance, love, and brotherhood among the members of the Muslim community, and advise them with kindness, Almighty said ((Speak to him in a soft manner; maybe he will take admonition or fear)), ((and speak kindly to them)), in addition to developing the spirit of pardon and forgiveness adhering the holy verse ((and who also harness their anger and forgive the people. God loves the righteous ones.)) 7. Refrain speaking offensively against the symbols of other Muslim schools of thought, by insulting or disrespecting them, for such behavior infringes the Muslim unity and is against the teachings of the Holy Quran, the traditions of Ahlulbayt (pbut), and practical way of the wise and righteous scholars.
8. Address diverse topics because society is in need of discourses that cover spirituality, education, and historical events. This will require the speaker/preacher to be acquainted with various subjects and familiar with different fields of study to meet the needs of the audience and those who seek guidance.
9. Avoid the use of dreams and fictional stories that sully the reputation of the Hussaini pulpit and depict it as an inferior and insubstantial medium not fit for highly intellectual and cultured audiences. Instead speakers should quote from the heritage of Ahl al-Bayt (pbut), which is beautiful and great, and the speaker with skills and creativity can highlight the texts and narrations that are appealing to people of different faiths, intellects, and social backgrounds. This encompasses what Ahl al-Bayt (p) have taught their followers, as is narrated from them “if people knew the excellence of our words, they would surely follow us.” Their excellent words are their heritage, which indicate the highest human values that attract all people from various cultures and religions. 10. Avert from delving into matters that are a source of disagreement such as matters relating who to emulate, and other practical matters, instead the speaker / preacher should advice people to refer to the scholar whom they emulate taking into account that the scholar must meet the conditions of emulation among which is being the most learned.
11. Stress the importance of the religious authority (Marjaeya) and hold on to its path, for it is considered the secret behind the power of the Ahl al-Bayt (p) school of thought and the symbol of its greatness and the glory of its existence and structure.
12. Advice the youth that it is imperative to have true conviction and belief in God and the hereafter. Never neglect this belief under any circumstance, for it is proven by clear [rational] evidence and also decreed by the upright faith. Just observe, and you will notice, for if a person could explore the depths of every creature in this world, each time they would see a novel and unique creation that attests to a maker [creator] who is both omnipotent and mighty. As such, God’s messages have come to us continuously and without interruption through His prophets to remind humankind of this fact and to indicate that this life, as He planned it, is an arena in which He tests His servants to see who is best in conduct. Thus, a person who is oblivious to the existence of God and the hereafter will not know the meaning of this life, its all-encompassing scope, and its eventual consequence [in the hereafter], and therein will be walking in darkness. Therefore, preserve and maintain your conviction and belief, and make it the most important and precious of your belongings. In fact, strive to increase your certainty [in God] through growing conviction, ensure that it never leaves you, and preserve it with deep foresight and penetrating vision.
13. Advice the youth to develop good moral character, because in doing so, they engender a great many excellent qualities like wisdom, consideration, kindness, modesty, frugality, prudence, patience, and others; because they are the most important reasons behind the happiness of this world and the hereafter. As such, the closest people to God, the Glorified, and the ones with the most significant deeds that tip the scale towards overwhelming good are the ones with the best morals.
14. Advice the youth to enjoy a spirit of learning and a desire to increase their knowledge and wisdom in all stages of their life and in all conditions. They should reflect on their deeds and traits and their effects, and ponder the incidents that happen around them and their results so that they become more knowledgeable and experienced every day. Indeed, there is a lesson and guidance in every act or incident, for this life is a source of learning with great vastness and endless depth, and there is a message and meaning in everything that happens. Everything that occurs reveals a message and phenomena and represents examples and lessons to those who ponder over it. Therefore, our youth should never neglect or ignore an opportunity to gain knowledge and experience until the last day of their life. The more knowledgeable a person is, the more trials and errors they will avoid. God, the Glorified, says, ((and he who is given wisdom is certainly given an abundant good)) and He says to His Prophet (may God’s blessings be upon him and his progeny) ((and say, ‘My Lord! Increase me in knowledge))
In the end, we ask Allah Almighty to make us among the preachers who practice what they preach. ((Who has a better call than him who summons to Allah and acts righteously and says, ‘Indeed I am one of the Muslim?))