In the Ullema Conference in Paris, the Representative of the leading Marja’iyah in Europe, says:
• Ullemas should speak to people according to their level of understanding - as in the Hadith “Address people according to their level of thinking. Do you wish that Allah and his messenger be disbelieved?”
• Ullemas are trustees upon God’s laws and that which has been prescribed by the prophets. Thus their duty is to maintain it.
• Ullemas need to observe their behavior and their movements because people are watching them.
• Ullemas need to cooperate and advise each other. Even if they differ on a certain issue then, let this be away from the public eye so as not to affect their credibility.
• Ullemas need to study different books of science and knowledge beneficial to the current needs of the people.
• Ullemas need to include the female element and invest their energies for Tabligh and family welfare.
13 Jamada II 1438
Allamah Sayyid Murtadha Al-Kashmiri opened the European Ullema Conference in Paris with the words of Imam Amirul-Momineen Ali ibn Abi Talib (a.s.)
“The strength of religion and Dunya depend on four things; an Alim using his knowledge, the uneducated who is not ashamed to learn, the generous who is not stingy with his kindness, the poor who does not sell his afterlife for this world. So, if the Alim loses his knowledge and the uneducated is ashamed to learn and the rich is miser with his kindness, then the poor will sell his afterlife for this Dunya.”
(قِوَامُ اَلدِّينِ وَ اَلدُّنْيَا بِأَرْبَعَةٍ عَالِمٍ يَسْتَعْمِلُ عِلْمَهُ وَ جَاهِلٍ لاَ يَسْتَنْكِفُ أَنْ يَتَعَلَّمَ وَ جَوَادٍ لاَ يَبْخَلُ بِمَعْرُوفِهِ وَ فَقِيرٍ لاَ يَبِيعُ آخِرَتَهُ بِدُنْيَاهُ فَإِذَا ضَيَّعَ اَلْعَالِمُ عِلْمَهُ اِسْتَنْكَفَ اَلْجَاهِلُ أَنْ يَتَعَلَّمَ وَ إِذَا بَخِلَ اَلْغَنِيُّ بِمَعْرُوفِهِ بَاعَ اَلْفَقِيرُ آخِرَتَهُ بِدُنْيَاهُ).
He then briefly explained the meaning of these blessed words because of their significance and our great need for them today; focusing on the first point, which is the duty of Ullemas in general, in European countries, to educate and guide the people to face the challenges and build, in them, a sound religious base so they do not deviate from the path. It must also be stressed upon parents to care for the religious and ideological education of their children – this being the most important function of the Ullemas these days.
He then focused on the standards that should be adopted by the Ullemas as follows:
• That they should enjoy the highest levels of discipline because people are monitoring their every move.
• They represent God’s law and religion and carry the message of 124,000 prophets; Adam (a.s.) being the first and Muhammad (s.a.w.w.) being the last and seal of the prophets. This message is in their trust and they should neither neglect nor distort and underestimate it. We heard from a scholar that when he came to bid farewell, the Alim replied: “I bid you God’s farewell and his laws because you represent the religion.”
• Ullema should observe the level of attendance in their lectures and avoid relating myths and superstitions. They should only convey that which has been proven authentic from the immaculate Imams (a.s.). There is no harm if an Alim does not know the answer to a question to say I do not know. In the Hadith it is said that: “do not be ashamed if you do not know to say I do not know.”
• That you cooperate, advice, visit and consult each other. Should differences of opinions occur, then this must not be in front of the public so as not to undermine your character. As the saying goes:”Advice in public is humiliating.”
Ullemas should not only study religious Hawza and ideology books but also study different sciences and knowledge to stock up on their information bank – especially with all the misconceptions and ideas going around to tarnish Islam and its truth.
The Sayyid also emphasized upon the importance of the female element in Tabligh and to explain jurisprudential rulings for them and use their energies for Tabligh and education – because they can play a big role in transmitting these rulings to other women. Ullemas and Mubaligheen should allocate weekly and/or monthly sessions incorporating moral and educational aspects and jurisprudential rulings. We have tried this method successfully in several various places and the result was very positive impact in understanding religious rulings and alleviating many family problems and child-rearing.
The Conference then began with speeches from the participants.